STX Homepage is located at http://lachlan.bluehaze.com.au/stxnews/stx/
The main reason the creation of the
sci.techniques.xtallography newsgroup was and is to provide an open, easily accessible,
electronic conferencing system or bulletin board for the international
crystallographic and scientific community on the internet. The newsgroups (in
theory) allow queries and discussion to take place in days to weeks,
that would take months to years (or not at all) on conventional paper
journals. Opportunities for informal discussion and exchange of
information and opinions that might only occur at international
conferences can routinely take place on the internet newsgroups.
The information on the procedures and voting information that created the newsgroup
is also available.
Following is part of the original charter for this newsgroup written up
during the newsgroup creation process. The main emphasis being
that this newsgroup is a discussion area for anything relevant to the
scientific discipline of crystallography.
Participants are welcome and encouraged to browse, read, follow-on,
post, and use this newsgroup as an information server, discussion area
and electronic conferencing system to its maximum advantage. Being an
unmoderated newsgroup, no one owns or runs this newsgroup so. Thus
participants should feel uninhibited to freely use this crystallographic
It should be noted that concerns have been raised about participants
avoiding the peer-review process by publishing structures on this
discussion area that might be incorporated into crystallographic
databases. As around two out of five submitted structures have problems
or errors, it is thus recommended that this newsgroup not be used to
publish raw results and data that would normally go via the peer-review
- Powder diffraction (neutron/X-rays)
- Single crystal diffraction
- Electron diffraction
- Crystal Structure determination
- Structure determination
- Rietveld Refinement
- Data formats
- Hardware/Equipment - specs, alignment, opinions, etc.
- Phase Identification - search match software/techniques/....
- Discussion of complementary/confirmatory techniques :-
- Optical Microscopy
- Applications to the fields of Mineralogy, Geology,
- Announcements/reviews of papers/conferences.
- Preparation techniques.
- Non-ambient techniques (high-pressure/temperature/??)
- Discussion on the accuracy/validity of various structures
and reference patterns.
- General Discussion/opinions/questions.
- Synchrotron radiation
- Positions vacant
- Crystallographic texture determination
- Biological crystallography and applications
- TEM (Transmission Electron Microscopy)
- Structural analysis of disordered (i.e. amorphous) materials.
- Anything else that is relevant to crystallography in general.
Whats New |
Web Gateways |
Please feel free to send any queries, comments or suggestions to: